Saturday, October 24, 2009

Running Tree

Polvadera, New Mexico.


Somehow along the line this massive old cottonwood tree (150+ ft.) developed a large enough natural cavity in it's trunk so that a person can now comfortably stand inside it. I know because I've done it many times myself. It's great for getting out of the elements (not recommended for lightning storms) or for just leaning back in and contemplating the universe while the sun sets. Cottonwood leaves make a great sound in the wind and of couse the birds are always flitting about it's branches. It's a cool old tree to hang out with/in.

As you can see, from just the right angle, it appears that this ancient cottonwood is walking... more likely running. Heading for the hills. Well, probably towards the river actually and the relative safety of the protected Rio Grande Bosque and the cottonwoods there.

I'd be running too, if I knew about the fate of most of my other brethren of this area... and thus ultimately mine also.

Sadly, it's one of the last of many cottonwoods that use to populate this middle Rio Grande flood plain that's now been almost completely cleared for agriculture.

I hope whatever it appears to be trying to get away from never catches it.








No comments:

Post a Comment